Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2014

New York City and Dreams of Journalism

 I am infatuated with New York City. 
This isn't exactly remarkable, seeing as how there are tens of millions of people thinking exactly the same thing. However, I think that's part of the appeal. So many people live there and have been there that I felt a connection between myself and all the souls that have seen the many sights before me. It's hard to talk about this without being cliche but the crowds made me feel so small and just like I was a part of something bigger. I was captivated immediately after the flight in. 

I was priveledged to attend the Columbia Scholastic Press Association conference at Columbia University. (Our yearbook took home a Silver Crown, for anyone that has any meaning for.) I attended classes learning about journalism and my favorite was called Writing Fashion and Beauty: Frivolous or Functional? It really inspired me and reminded me of the passion I have for the field. It was led by Gerit Quealy, who was extremely insightful and I was sitting on the edge of my seat and hanging on every word she said. I think I wrote down just about every word too! I only wish I could have spoken with her longer. I know that some of the resources she gave me will be so valuable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment